Our February 2016 Luncheon was held at Boulders Inn and the Phyllis Wiseman provided hot soup, chili and sandwiches! After the usual round of introductions the Chamber President Kyle Matzen gave an update from the chamber board. He covered:
- The status of registrations for 2016
- the need for support and volunteers for 2016 events
- The 2015 Business & Citizen of the Year award
- Events for 2016
- Greater Des Moines Partnership benefits and February 19th Ribbon Cutting
John Calhoun closed out the business portion by giving an update on commercial projects for the city.
Our speaker for this month was Krista Bowersox with the Polk City Kiwanis. After reviewing the organization's history in our city, she gave an update on a number of programs the Kiwanis are involved in:
- North Polk 7th Grade Mentoring
- Kiwanis Park Expansion
- North Polk Chess Club
- Key club Program
- Stop Hunger Now Meal Packaging
- A variety of fund raisers
The Kiwanis Club of Polk City meets twice a month on the first and third Thursdays of each month. Both meetings are held at the Boulder Inn, Polk City, with the general member meeting starting a 6:30 PM at the first meeting of the month.
Krista stated the mission of the organization was their dedication to changing the world one child and one community at a time. More information can be found at their website http://kiwanisclubpc.blogspot.com/